Ryan W. Carroll, MD, MPH is the Program Director in Uganda for the Center for Global Health at MGH. There he oversees the work of a research and medical capacity building organization called the Global Health Collaborative, which cultivates 15 research projects and 15 departmental development partnerships, run by a staff of 100+, and involves a safety and security detail for the 10+ ex-patriot staff. These ventures are embedded within the host institution, the Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST), the 2nd largest medical school in Uganda. Dr. Carroll spends 75% of his time living and working in country. He spends the remaining 25% of the academic year in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), attending rounds and teaching as a staff physician at the Massachusetts General Hospital for Children (MGHfC) within the division of Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, and serves as an Instructor for Harvard Medical School.
In addition, while in Uganda, Dr. Carroll oversees a small appropriate technology development team that aims to create sustainable, reparable, and simple technologies for low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). The team also includes a physician-engineer at MGH, an in-country engineer in Uganda, and a community development summer intern. The first project, funded by MGH’s Consortium for Affordable Medical Technology (CAMTech), involves building a simple continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) respiratory device for neonates, using design feedback from local end-users at the Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital pediatric ward.