Curbside Consults Podcast
Published July 12, 2023
On this episode of Curbside Consults, we discuss current approaches, adverse effects, and management of complications associated with immune checkpoint inhibitors (ICIs). We are joined by Dr. Kerry Reynolds, Clinical Director of Inpatient Oncology at Massachusetts General Hospital and Director of Severe Immunotherapy Complications Service.
00:00 – Intro
00:39 – What are immune checkpoint inhibitors (ICIs) and how do they work?
05:16 – Who is eligible for an ICI?
07:49 – ICI adverse effects
11:53 – Managing ICI adverse effects
15:26 – Case-based discussion
18:01 – Endocrinopathies associated with ICIs
22:08 – Resuming treatment with ICIs
26:08 – Tumor proportion score
27:45 – Raising awareness of ICI adverse effects
29:11 – Outro
Articles mentioned in this episode:
1. Schneider BJ et al. Management of Immune-Related Adverse Events in Patients Treated with Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor Therapy: ASCO Guideline Update. J Clin Oncol 2021.
2. Haanen J et al. Management of Toxicities from immunotherapy: ESMO Clinical Practice Guideline for Diagnosis, Treatment and Follow-up. Ann Oncol 2022.
3. Thompson JA et al. Management of Immunotherapy-Related Toxicities, Version 1.2022, NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2022.
4. Brahmer JA et al. Society for Immunotherapy of Cancer (SITC) Clinical Practice Guideline on Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor-Related Adverse Events. J Immunother Cancer 2021.
5. Naidoo J et al. A Multidisciplinary Toxicity Team for Cancer Immunotherapy-Related Adverse Events. J Clin Oncol 2018.
The Curbside Consults series complements the foundational information in Rotation Prep by taking a deep dive into key clinical topics with expert clinicians and educators. These podcasts explore and critique the evidence behind clinical practice and break down statistical concepts for the busy clinical trainee.